Thursday 29 January 2009

A Seven Years War diversion

I recently acquired a rather large SYW French and Reichsarmee 15mm collection from Richard at the club. He has been working on a set of SYW rules and from the game I played and those I've seen they are rather good. However, I'm a stickler for the cosmetics of the game and as I have plans for Imagi-Nation type stuff in the future I want all my troops in a uniform basing style.

Now there are a lot of figures here (c.60 x 16fig battalions plus cavalry etc.)so rebasing will be a long and slow process. I also want to keep the bulk of the army available for playing the rules at the club so I started with the smaller Reichsarmee contingent figuring some could double for Hessians and some for French in my AWI games! Now I also wanted to 'alter' the painting style to fit more with my own. They are very neatly but basically painted and given the numbers I didn't want to spend too much time on them so I applied a Games Workshop Flesh wash to the skin areas and then used Future/Klear with a little black over the rest of the figure. I think they've come out OK. This is my first attempt with Klear and the mix has been a little inconsistent so some look better than others.

Here are some comparison shots:


Cronegk - before and after

Kur-trier - before and after

Rear view

Warasdiner-Creutzer

The finished brigade

Still a lot to do but I think the approach has promise and when done they overall effect will be worth the effort.

1 comment:

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Much better - especially with the new basing as well...