Saturday 11 October 2008

Little ongoing book review...

Started reading McGuire's books on the Philadelphia campaign and I have to admit I'm enjoying them. It's not a campaign I know in enough detail to comment on the accuracy of the books but the range of material quoted is very good with some stuff I haven't come across before and lots from my fave Ewald!

His (McGuire's) description of the Grenadiers going in to action at Brandywine has inspired me to paint a few for my Brits.

He does use a LOT of quotes throughout the text and it seems that often you think the story is moving on only to find it's just another viewpoint of the same event. There are also a couple of times where the same event/quote is duplicated later in the text. Although Im enjoying them I think a good editor would have got it down to one slightly larger volume. Currently at Germantown so a bit to go 'til completion but overall I'd recommend them.

Next up will be The Southern Strategy. The advantage of getting a bus to work is I finally get some reading done each way. Trying to read in bed now (with 2 kids) lasts about 5 minutes before the eyes shut and the head slumps!

Making progress on painting the 71st and looking forward to a game soon...

No comments: